PI: David Hu
- Phonekeo, S., Dave, T., Kern, M., Franklin, S.V. and Hu, D.L. (2016). Ant aggregations self-heal to compensate for Ringlemann Effect. Soft Matter.
- Tennenbaum, M., Liu, Z., Hu, D.L. Fernandez-Nieves, A. (2016) Mechanics of fire ant aggregations. Nature Materials. 15, 54–59 doi:10.1038/nmat4450
- Guillermo, A.J., Durand, F., Mao, W., Sindhu, P, Hidetoshi, T., Vinh-Thanh, N., Shimayama, I., Alexeev, A., Hu, D.L. (2015) Insects have hairy eyes that reduce particle deposition. European Physical Journal: Special Topics. 224, 3361–3377
- Guillermo, A.J. and Hu, D.L. (2015) Cleanliness is next to godliness: mechanisms for staying clean. Journal of Experimental Biology. 20 (2015): 3164-3174.
- Dickerson, A.K, Shankles, P.G., Berry Jr, B.E., Hu, D.L. (2015) Fog and dense gas disrupt mosquito flight due to increased aerodynamic drag on halters. Journal of Fluids and Structures. 1016/j.jfluidstructs.2015.03.016
- Amador, G., Mao, W., DeMercurio, P., Montero, C., Clewis, J., Alexeev, A., Hu, D.L. (2015) Eyelashes divert airflow to protect the eye. Journal of the Royal Society Interface.
- Dickerson, A.K., Liu, X., Zhu, T., Hu, D.L. Fog spontaneously folds mosquito wings. (2015) Physics of Fluids 27, 021901
- Bourouiba, L., Hu, D. L. and Levy, R. (2014) Surface-tension phenomena in organismal biology. Integrative and Comparative Biology. 54:955–958
- Yang, P.J., Pham, J., Choo, J., Hu, D.L. (2014) Duration of urination does not change with body size. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA. 111(33):11932-11937.
- Marvi, H., Gong, C., Gravish, N., Astley, H., Travers, M., Hatton, R. L., Mendelson, J.R., Choset, H., Hu, D.L., & Goldman, D. I. (2014). Sidewinding with minimal slip: Snake and robot ascent of sandy slopes. Science, 346(6206), 224-229.
- Dickerson, A.D., Hu, D.L. (2014) Mosquitoes actively remove drops deposited by fog and dew. Integrative and Comparative Biology. doi: 10.1093/icb/icu042
- Foster, P. C., Mlot, N. J., Lin, A. and Hu, D. L. (2014). Fire ants actively control spacing and orientation within self-assemblages. Journal of Experimental Biology 217, 2089-2100.
- Dickerson, A.D., Shankles, P., Hu, D. L. (2014) “Raindrops push and splash flying insects.” Physics of Fluids. 26, 027104.
- Marvi, H., Bridges, J., Hu, D.L. (2013) “Snakes mimic earthworms: Propulsion using Rectilinear Traveling Waves, ” Journal of the Royal Society Interface. 10: 20130188.
- Amador, G., Yamada, Y., McCurley, M., Hu, D. L. (2013) Raindrop acceleration in splash-cup seed dispersal. Journal of the Royal Society Interface. 10: 20120880.
- Dickerson, A., Mills, Z. & Hu, D. L. (2012) Wet mammals shake at tuned frequencies to dry. Journal of the Royal Society Interface. 9: 3208-3218.
- Mlot N., Tovey, C. & Hu, D. L. (2012) Dynamics and circularity of large ant rafts. Communicative and Integrative Biology. 5 (6): 590–597.
- Dickerson, A., Shankles, P., Madhaven, N., Hu, D. L. (2012) Mosquitoes survive raindrop collisions by virtue of their low mass. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA. 109 (25) 9822-9827.
- Marvi, H. & Hu, D. L. (2012) Friction enhancement in concertina locomotion of snakes. Proceedings of the Royal Society: Interface. 9 (76), 3067-3080
- Gravish, N., Franklin, S.V., Hu, D.L. & Daniel I. Goldman. (2012) Entangled granular media. Physical Review Letters. 108, 208001 (journal cover)
- West, D., Lal, I., Leamy, M. & Hu, D.L. (2012) Locomotion of Mexican Jumping Beans. Bioinspiration and Biomimetics. 7: 036014 (12pp).
- Hobbs, W. & Hu, D.L. (2012) Tree-inspired Piezoelectric Energy Harvesting. Journal of Fluids and Structures. 28: 103-114.
- 2015 Best Documentary Segment, New York Festivals International TV & Film Awards. “Ant Engineers,” produced by Kelly Peckham at Discovery Channel, filmed in David Hu’s lab. https://youtu.be/5GnSf0lgafQ
- 2016 Pineapple Science Prize of Physics, awarded to the research team led by Prof David Hu for “Cleanliness is next to Godliness.” On April 9, 2016 the Pineapple Science Prize Awarding Ceremony, sponsored by Zhejiang Science and Technology Museum and Guokr Website, was held at Hangzhou. I was one of ten international recipients, across science.
- Ig Nobel Prize in Physics. Awarded at Harvard University. September 17, 2015
- Contestant on “I am a speaker,” a Chinese game show similar to TED aired Saturday night at primetime. I am the first scientist and first American to be on the show. August 8, 2015
- 2015 Pineapple Science Prize of Physics, awarded to the research team led by Prof David Hu for “why mosquitoes survive hits by raindrops.” On April 11, 2015 the Pineapple Science Prize Awarding Ceremony, sponsored by Zhejiang Science and Technology Museum and Guokr Website, was held at Hangzhou. I was one of ten international recipients, across science.
- National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award by the Division of Physics. One of 600 nation-wide awards given in 2013. $550K
- Two-time winner of Gallery of Fluid Motion Award, American Physical Society, Division of Fluid Dynamics, 2004, 2005
- NSF Mathematical Sciences Postdoctoral Fellowship, $108K, 2005
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship. $121 K, 2002
- Westinghouse Science Talent Search, Semifinalist. One of 500 awards given in 1997